Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thank You and Jail Schmail

Support has been incredible.

Thank you to my father and the rest of my family for all your support, Ash, Nate, Case, JessieDear, Brianne, Danielle, Brooke, Foodz, Erin, Bunket, BryBryBryan, like 5 Megans, Shea, Bang Bang Jessie, Hot Fern, Leanna, Dirty Marts, Gina, Alli ROBS, Danie, Jessica R, LL, Joy the Baker, Patrick M, Lea P, Shelks, Tracey, Carol, Amy, Eddie, Rocky, HoneyB, AnnaLou, Faith, Jennie, Adam G, Lori, HappyCTG and even Bex... at what point does this turn into a "What these Tweeterz want" DMX remix by TyTy?  The list is endless... I'm sorry.

I really want to extend a personal thank you to everyone, but with the unbelievable rush of support today I simply do not have time, it's legitimately impossible.  Just please understand that if you sent me a message on facebook, twitter or email, I read it and it touched me.  It made this process easier for me and it made me see that I'm still a human being.  I have heard many many personal stories about how something I've written or said has touched someone, inspired them or in some way changed their life.  Listen to me, I have received far more inspiration from all of you than I could ever give.  I am eternally grateful and moved.  I originally started writing this as a way to keep myself honest, I will continue to write specifically for that reason.  The bonus is, now I get to hear from you, I get to hear your stories and they change me, they inspire me, the mean the world to me.

Another big thank you to some of the most talented people in the world Patrick and Lea of Cocktails with Patrick on SiriusXM 109 3-6p East.  Genuine friends of mine and some of the best people in all of entertainment.  If you want to hear them talk about how awesome I am you can find that here (and if you don't think this just became my audio resume, you're drunk).

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/8oBre1h/tytyfarewell.mp3.html

What's going on - NUTSHELL EDITION
On August 12th, I was arrested for my 3rd DUI.  It came after 3 years of relapsing.  I was sober for six and a half years in my twenties, then I relapsed and never got it back.  I'm 31 now.  I was arrested in Iowa on my 2nd DUI in June of 2007, went to 4 months of residential rehab in 2008 and then was arrested in August of 2010.  It's been a battle, but I'm not sure that I ever really understood what the stakes were.  I'm very lucky to be alive and I'm even luckier that I didn't hurt anyone else.  The shame and remorse I have felt and continue to feel for all of my horrific behavior has consumed me for the better part of the last 9 months.  It is not lost on me how fortunate I am, many many people have done far less and ended up dead.  I'm ready to face this, I deserve it and I want to do everything I can to make this right.  Not just for you, my family, my friends, God or the State of Wisconsin but for myself.  My eyes are wide open and they will remain that way, without fear, without resentment.  Just acceptance.  This is the right thing, and I know it.

Here's my info and the likely location of your friend tyty, there are some other possibilities.  I will be granted work release privileges, but that is contingent on the work release facility having space for me.  If that is not the case, I will remain in jail.  Here is a link to the facility I will likely be housed in for the majority of my time.

http://www.waukeshacounty.gov/defaultwc.aspx?id=38341

We've agreed to 250days in jail with the understanding that I will only serve 75% of that with "Good Time."  (As tempting as it will be to start some kind of behind the walls crime syndicate, it's not worth 50days)  If you do the math that puts me out sometime in the middle of November.  I have heard people exclaim that it seems like a long time considering the nature of the crime.  It's true that it's longer than most people would serve for something like this, but, I am not most people and neither are you... and who really gives a shit about that.  I am Tyler and this is my road.  I'm not interested in getting around humps, escaping humps or even getting over them... I'm interested in getting through it.  I've been rescued, enabled and fed by hand enough times to know that being let off easy is useless for an entitled, ego-maniac like me.    My "silver tongue" (as it's been called by people with less metallic tongues) has been much more of a curse than it has a blessing.  I'm going to chop the fucker off, melt it down and sell it to "Cash for Silver Tongues" DOT WHATEVER.

If you want to send a letter you can send them here:
Tyler Gall
Waukesha County Huber Facility
1400 Northview Road
Waukesha, WI 53188

For me this is all about acceptance, not resignation.... once you've exhausted all of your options to change your circumstance you MUST embrace it.  Embrace it for everything it is, abandon your expectations.  Think about your situation without viewing the rest of the world, do not consider relativity, only reality.  Right now I'm on the porch with my dogs, and I am happy.  In a few days I will be in a cell, with someone I despise... and somehow, I will find peace there and be happy too.  Your own resilience will blow your mind when you don't have any choice.  I've been through harder things in my life and there will be plenty more hard things to come, you can make all the right choices and still have life shit on you.  So what?  You've got your rock moves.  So do I, let's just keep using our rock moves. (shout out to Pink, I know she's readin')

Please hear me, I care about you, I do not understand your cirucmstances or your life, but I do understand your emotions, as you understand mine.  I promise you that nobody, over the course of our lives, will cause us more pain than ourselves.  Think about that, it's odd that we spend so much of our time blaming and resenting people in our lives for the things they've done to us, but we completely excuse ourselves excused from the pain we cause ourselves.  It's time to look in the mirror and acknowledge that blaming and shirking accountability is a form of self abuse.  You're not only causing your own pain, but you're validating it... don't validate a shitty perspective on life.

Embrace yourself, embrace your circumstance, embrace your own life.  Don't be a victim of circumstance, be a champion of circumstance.

Tonight, I sat by the river with the dogs, alone.  I had no expectations and I had no intentions, I just walked down there and sat down.  I was overwhelmed by emotions, I moved to tears.  To be there with the dogs, watching the water pass.  Thinking about how I got here and where I was headed, all at once completely grounded in my moment.  I wasn't sad, I was moved.  I feel happy.  I am happy about who I am.  I wanted to look back on the last 9 months and say, "I handled that the best I could," well, I can do that.

Life is pretty awesome if you let it be.

I'm proud of you.  Now live your ass off, I'll holler at you in November.

Love,
Tyler Gall

1 comment: