Sunday, June 12, 2011

Welcome to My Telephone Nightmare (Letters from TyTy Vol. 3)

(By the time I got this letter to post Tyler's phone situation was fixed...as everyone knows by now.)

There are pay phones on the units in Huber - they accept quarters, dimes and nickels. Also, calling cards and credit cards. Seems like an ok deal right? I thought so too.

We're both wrong. We're only allowed to have $15 on us in the unit. I would much prefer to use that money on vending than a pay phone. All of the numbers I call frequently are 1. cellphones & 2. long distance. So calling collect is an impossibility. Since they're all long distance it's $1 for ten minutes. That's assuming of course, that whomever I'm calling picks up. Often I'm screened and sent to voicemail, which rips my dollar. Even when I do hang up in time it only returns your money about half the time.


Clearly I would spend the money to talk to people for ten minutes for a dollar , if it were a lock I could talk to them, but it's not even close. I have more money in my "out" locker but unless you're actually leaving you can't go to your "out" locker, no exceptions. So now you see the importance of the dollar. Also, quarters are at a premium. The change machines only give out gold dollar coins...no shit, WORST. They want you to pump the vending machines not the phones.

Yesterday I got out to do community service for the 1st time. I was excited for a lot of reasons. I got outside, I got to wear shoes and finally, I got my phone in my hand. It was going to be my day, my day to tweet, twitpic, talk, and text everyone. Can you imagine how I've been looking forward to this? I miss everyone. I miss feeling like a human being with a taste of freedom. This was going to be a huge moment for my morale. Then, like a kick to the stomach, I realized my phone had been shut off. Now? Of all the times for it to be shut off? Now, when I am completely powerless to do anything about it? I tried to get it in my name 3 times but they wouldn't release it to me until the outstanding balance was paid off. Now, I'm in here...with no way other than letters and an occasional pay phone roulette spin to communicate.

I'm hoping something gets worked out with my phone because really, my life is on hold here. I'm dealing with it fine, it was just a major bummer in a place where bummers are bad.

Send me letters - the cure for the bummers!

No comments:

Post a Comment